Saturday, November 26, 2011

Auspicious Autumn

In the UK tinned pumpkin doesn't seem to exist. So every year I have to sacrifice a pumpkin in order to have the American staple of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I guess for a vegetarian it's kind of like murdering and plucking your own turkey. This year I had one success and one failure (or successful pumpkin pudding--however you want to look at it).
Earlier in the month I hosted a prayer meeting at our house and made cupcakes that were autumnal...not Halloween themed. But a belated Happy Samhain to all my fellow heathens out there!
Daniel used part of his equipment allowance this week and got himself a brand new shiny Sony something or other.

7 comments:

Ginger said...

I knew you'd gone British when you used the word tinned to refer to something canned in the first sentence :)

Artillery said...

Uh oh! BTW, your fireplace looks terrific.

Christy said...

Sacrificing your own pumpkin and all...wow I am so impressed! Is that Listerene by the kitchen sink? Way to keep those teeth healthy :)

Ginger said...

Hey thanks. Yes, we were impressed with your pumpkin pie from scratch. Good thing Ryan and I aren't living in the UK, pumpkin is his favorite and I'd have to be sacrificing all sorts of pumpkins.

Artillery said...

Ha ha, yeah. @Christy: Our bathroom is outside our flat, so Daniel likes to keep all the tooth stuff by the kitchen sink.
@Ginger: It is kind of time consuming doing it this way. But I could have made it easier on myself by baking the pumpkin, skin and all, first then just scooping out the meat. My friend Min told me that Thursday night it was a real "duh" moment. ha ha.

Glenda said...

Ginger will NOT be sacrificing any more squash or pumpkins with anything sharp! Good thing we have "tinned" pumpkin!

Artillery said...

Did Ginger hurt herself? Oh dear, I hope not! It looked like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thanks for sending me the pictures Glenda.